Monday, November 3, 2008

Kewell Scores, Djite In, The Holman Delivers.

Another hectic week across Europe for our far flung socceroos.

Kewell continues to score for Galatasaray, netting the opener in a 3-1 league win over Gaziantepspor. The hot form continues for the left footed dynamo, subbed in the 63rd minute although hopefully only as a precaution. Good to see from the lad given all the "contraversy", he lets his boots do the talking.

In another Turkish league game Bruce Djite scored a consolation goal as his team Genclerbirligi lost 2-1 to Antalyaspor. His strike came just after half time, with Genclerbirligi already down by two goals.

Ozzy Football's favourite Brett Holman scored for his Dutch team AZ Alkmaar in a 3-3 draw away to Heerenveen. Coming off the bench in the in the 46th minute Holman put his team in the lead with a neat one two move. Holman played the ball through to his team mate on the edge of the box who one timed a bobbling pass laterally for the Aussie strike to run on and sweetly volley home, glancing off the right hand upright. The result puts AZ on top of the Dutch league on goal difference, ahead of Ajax and NAC Breda. Culina's PSV Einhoven secured a 2-0 win at home to Willem II Tilber in another Dutch league game.

Cahill's Everton squeaked home 1-0 winners over Fulham at Goodison Park. Fulham's Mark Schwartzer kept Everton out until substitue Louis Saha grabbed the winner. Apparently Cahill missed a sitter but set one up that was saved by Schwartzer, so all good then.

Marko Bresciano playing for Palermo, was sent off early in the 2nd half after receiving a second yellow card against Chievo Verona. His team was already ahead by three goals by that stage and managed to hold that advantage until the final whistle. Palermo had only taken one point from their last three games, so this was important for them, pity Bresciano took an early shower.

In contrast Celtic's Scott Mcdonald was fouled with a clear scoring opportunity by Inverness Caladonian defender Marius Zaliukas prompting a red card. The resulting penalty was missed by some other Celt (Paul Hartley) but it mattered not as Celtic was already 2-0 up and that's how the scoreline remained.

And that's about it for Aussie Footballers in Europe for now...

No comments: